Electrical fires are dangerous but preventable. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, in 2020 there were 24,200 residential electrical fires resulting in deaths, injuries and over $1.2 billion in damages.
At Sun State Power, we’ve had decades of installing safe fixtures and fixing old systems to optimize them for safety. Here are our top tips to avoid an electrical fire starting in your home.
Faulty electrical wiring is a major cause of residential fires. To prevent this from happening, listen for popping or sizzling sounds behind walls and check for loose wires, receptacles, and lighting fixtures. If any light switches become hot to the touch or the lights flicker repeatedly, call a professional to come to take a look.
2.Get your electrical system inspected
Especially if you live in an older home, it’s important to have your electrician system looked at by a reliable electrician. This allows for potential problems to be caught before they turn into emergencies and for your electrician to make recommendations to improve safety and prevent fires.
3.Take a look at your light bulbs
Making sure your lightbulbs are properly screwed on assures they don’t overheat. It’s also very important to check the wattage of your lightbulbs and make sure they don’t exceed the fixture requirements. Replace bulbs that have a higher than recommended wattage in order to prevent overheating.
4.Routinely check your appliances and electronics
Use surge protectors for important and expensive appliances to protect them from unexpected power surges and prevent fires. Keep an eye out for cracks or damage in your wires and immediately unplug an appliance if it blows a fuse, trips a circuit breaker or gives an eclectic shock.
5.Unplug heat-producing appliances
When you leave the house or when not in use make sure to turn off and unplug any appliance or electronic that produces heat. If left on for an extended period of time, these items can overheat and catch on fire.
6.Don’t do major DIY projects
Use caution when doing projects around the home, especially when they are close to any sort of wiring or outlets. DIY-ers can run a risk of puncturing wires which causes the electric current to move away from its path and generate a dangerous amount of heat.
By following these six tips, and knowing when it’s time to call a skilled electrician, you can prevent your home from electrical fires.